Some people think they’re corny. Others think they’re essential. Some make ’em and forget ’em in less than a week.
Me? I’ve done all of the above. Last year I made some New Year’s Resolutions on the fly, but they ended up working well:
* Move towards the adage ‘waste not, want not’. Actions: made broth out of all the bones I could, washed and reused plastic bags, composted, recycled, kept and re-purposed glass bottles, canned and preserved produce when able…Hopefully, even more next year.
* Consistently work on the garden. Until the drought killed everything, I did. Now we have a successful cool crop going.
* Finish NaNo 2011. Check!
* Lose weight, increase functionality, find a way of eating healthy that I like. Lost 20 pounds, steadily increasing fitness by using the Lift Heavy, Sprint and Walk model, and Primal/Paleo.
Check! All four.
This year, though, I’d like to give it some more consideration. So, I’m planning on using the month of January to amend the soil, so to speak. For once we have no plans (!) for any of the weekends, and nothing beyond the usual for any of the weekdays–perfect for 31 days of meditation and consideration.
* 31 days of clean, strict Primal
* 31 days of prayer, devotional, divination or ritual work. My intention is for this to be time set aside, apart from my regular morning prayers.
* Blog about it as much as possible–whatever rhythm it takes
In time for Imbolc, evaluate the month and consecrate resolutions.
I’m looking forward to it! I have a week of meals planned out and received some great Yule gifts for thought-fodder:
Well Fed: Paleo Recipes for People Who Love to Eat by Mellisa Joulwan
Magic of the Celtic Gods and Goddesses by Carl McColman and Katherine Hinds (the title [especially the rest of it] is awful, and I’m aware that there are some reservations with this book–but! I’ll review it when I’ve finished)
Celtic Devotional: Daily Prayers and Blessings by Caitlin Matthews
The Witches Almanac, 2012
Cunningham’s Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs by Scott Cunningham
Do you have NYR’s? Do you like them, hate them, meh? Set resolutions at a different time of year?